The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.

Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

34 Days to going back to the life of an Ethiopian volunteer

I'm so excited- in 34 days- I'll be back volunteering in Ethiopia. A moment I've been anticipating since I left last year. I can hardly wait so, here's a peak at what my day is like as a volunteer in the country.

There's something magical about waking up at 4:45 am to chanting coming from the speakers of the nearby mosque, then the Orthodox church singers join in with their daily prayers. I call these men "my serenader's", their melodic sounds follow you as you travel all over the country.

There's something even more magical about earplugs and your pillow over your head!! Mornings are a bit like a symphony - first the churches, then animal noises- a party of noises-including donkeys/chickens and dogs. The neighborhood awakens- with the smells of coal or propane stoves as your neighbors begin making breakfast or start talking or their children playing and don't forget traffic-with the sounds of horns, revving engines and compound doors opening and closing. Soon it's 6am and your alarm clock tells you -that the world awaits-so you get up- and "get ready for the day".

I eat breakfast before I run out the big green gate of the compound and immediately make a mess of my shoes and get dust or mud on my legs. Instantly, I feel a little tired-as I trek up a hill - feeling the effects of the dust, pollution and the city's altitude. At the top- I try to to hail a morning mini-bus. More often than not-give up and walking for a few miles. Where we run into other locals, as we walk, we enjoy the sunshine (or wish for it) and talk about the day ahead of us, current traffic congestion and the shortage of transportation or how late we are for work. I wonder sometimes why I even try to hail a mini-bus to Sidist kilo -it's so enjoyable to walk (when it's not raining).

At Sidist Kilo, I love-hopping on a mini-bus and often find other student's parents on it. As excited as I am to see them, watching the city at it's most chaotic period of day, out the window of the mini-bus, is intoxicating.

There's something hysterical about almost always being late for my morning class and walking into a classroom - in a wrinkled white labcoat and have the student's stand up to say "good morning wassaro (Mrs) Kimberly -How are you today? Then many ask-where is your woo haa (water)??". giggle.

There's something magical about ordering "un kewlal macchiato ya le sequir" (macchiato -dark with no sugar) at sport cafe to the delight of the waitress on my morning break- wondering how I survived the first two classes with out coffee! Every Tuesday-the local news is published in English and the gentleman saves me a copy- (grin).

There's something magical about a spicy lunch that ends with coffee and a piece of fruit, lunch is never alone- it's mostly spent with family and friends. After lunch a variety of things happen- I may meet with my language tutor, correct papers, have some tea and teach an afternoon class.

The evening starts at 3:15 with correcting papers, monitoring an after school study hour, planning the next day's lessons and then finally- teaching a night class with adults.

There's something magical- about ending the day visiting friends-since there is often no electricity- and then going home for a 9:00PM dinner.

There's something unusual about wanting to waking up and go to the gym to run in a circle with 100 other people around a small, sweat stinking auditorium that ends with a cold public shower before work.

There's an occasional AWESOME night where you can take a hot shower before bed-and then collapse at the end of what always feels like a long long day...

There's something different and unknown to you every day: a mis-communication,a schedule change, or a random holiday that makes you realize you really don't know whats going most of the time. It's at these times you miss home the most-but they are also the reasons, you to wake up with laughter to start over- exhausted- and excited about your weekly random "routine".

There's something peaceful about very social weekends- a moment on Entoto overlooking the city or a morning/evening at church- an afternoon with the family.

I can't wait to add in the blessing of meeting our children in this chaotic but wonderful schedule!! There's something magical about the birth country of our children that makes my heart sing....

In just 34 days, I will feel the familiar heartbreak of leaving our friends, our neighbors, our church and most of all- Denis. This time, not knowing exactly when I'll see them again, as we wait for the children's final court date, that legally makes us their parents- I find the leaving part is really bittersweet.

1 comment:

Evelyn said...

How great that you are going back to stay in Ethiopia for a while. Will you be in Addis? Will you go see your kids before your official travel week?

How exciting! I hope you can blog all about it.

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)