The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Monday, July 9, 2007

2 Adults per Child please!

Okay- so are we nuts? We're in our mid-30's and we had a friends 3 year old and our Nephew who is 1 at our house this past weekend. Is this really what we are asking our lives to turn into?? Are we crazy? This country needs 2 adults for each child!!!

Here's my thoughts? Be prepared they are scattered-

It was a lot of fun. How do people get anything done? I need a house cleaner!
Would older children be better? This "having a choice" is such a burden.

We finger painted, made cookies, made a disaster of the house, we went to the park, and to an Ecological park. Yet Den's sister and brother in law cared for their child the whole time we could barely keep up with the 3 year old. So- what are we going to do when there are not 4 adults and 2 kids in the house. I think we not only need to adopt 2 kids- but we need 2 parents too! Can you say NANNY???? Au'Pair.. oh baby- here we come-start the interviews now!!!

People enjoy this? What about my life- will I ever get it back? Okay- so I'm selfish- get over it. If you haven't figured it out by now- there- I've told you.
Don't forget that I'm also very giving, nurturing and generally thoughtful though :-)...laugh. But yes- I'm selfish and I like my life.

I know we want to have children, I know that we won't change our mind and we know that it's going to be hard. Right now- I'm not sure I want to do this- but what else is there? Travellings getting boring, life's getting boring -I'm running out of interest to persue- and well- I don't want to be older parents- I'm already much more tired than I was when I was younger. I think it was probably easier for our parents - who got married, had kids, (got divorced), and there wasn't so much pressure to be "perfect parents".

Society is kind of nuts how much we "cater to our kids". It'll be interesting to see how we will balance perceived societal expectations with our parenting desires. I'm sure many "new" parents feel this way. We're just not keep up with the Jones types- never have been and our parents did as much if not "more" with a lot "less" and we're fine. Although some could challenge how "fine" we turned out-laugh.

On a more interesting note.. Denis and I had a blast. I didn't think about our work all weekend although we had to pay the price last night with Den going to work at 3am, heck we couldn't find the check book and didn't care-laugh. I can take care of that tonght. We loved going places, answering "why", giving baths and essentially- we enjoyed being needed. Geneva did great as well- she I don't think enjoyed sharing us quite a much as she had to -but she did like watching the people and wagged her tail when the kids were around. She enjoyed the attention from the additional adults to. But what if the kids hadn't gone "home".. Den up at 3am- the bills still unpaid, the house still a mess.... OH MY!

To summarize- We need a bigger house and to adopt 2 more adults.. There needs to be 2 adults for each child or we need to move to country where the expectations are less.

No comments:

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)