The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Living with Hunger, Ethiopia

I borrowed a movie from a friend also adopting from Ethiopia called "Living with Hunger" - a documentary by Insight news TV. I'm really surprised it is not more widely circulated and that it took this long to learn about it.

Sorious Samura goes to a village in Ethiopia and lives with the community as a member of the community for 30 days. His film crew drops him off with just a few pieces of clothing but with no money and no "food". His goal is to integrate with the village residents and live as they do- with them. He works in the fields, and lives as a male member of the community would.

Here's a brief summary from their website: "In an unprecedented mission, Sorious Samura set out to understand the real stories of people living on the edge of starvation. He moved into a remote village in Ethiopia far away from the range of the UN and most NGO's. Between August and September Sorious lived in a hut and survived on the same meagre diet as the rest of the villagers."

It also gives you a glimpse of the beautiful Ethiopian country side and the wonderful nature of the Ethiopian people.
I'd recommend checking out the movie in it's entirety but - here are some places that you can see the basics:

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=1797266

No comments:

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)