The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Ethiopia Week

Last week seemed to be Ethiopia week for us and the rest of the Central Ma adoptive families group. We all crammed a few months of activities into one week (Sunday-Saturday). "how is it that some Sundays- I wonder what is it that I accomplished that prior week- what difference is it that I made in somebody's life, who did I make smile? did I smile? Did I notice that friend in need, did I listen to you, and then other weeks- I laugh, I dance, I sing, I'm listening to you, I'm making a difference?"
  • Cooking Ethiopian food for the first time (and adventurously sharing it with 10 people-laugh). Denis did an amazing job.. I did a well 50% amazing job.
  • A grown up adoption support group at our house for families with Ethiopian connections- *(my how the central MA area is growing- 4 families with referrals at the meeting- How exciting). It's such a privilege to be a part of and watch these families grow and expand.
  • The Boston Ethiopian Group Children's Christmas party. (The kids are growing up so fast)!
  • Rwandan Orphan Choir-Wow! a great show. Have you heard of Meme Stevens yet? You just have to hear this song (get tissues): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5lmJDvWfDE

A note on the referral process: This week I learned that the referral process is not always a happy and wonderful experience because you become attached and feel a social responsibility questioning should you give them family money - and keep the child in it's culture? Why does money allow me to have your baby- am I stealing this child because I was born in a different location? With such a heavy heart you move forward into adopting after waiting for this "joyous" moment of finding out you are going to be a parent.. I think it's something many families are not prepared for those emotions that come with a referral.

No comments:

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)