The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Thursday, March 6, 2008

No Big Mac Attacks

Selam, One week from today I will be alone, in a developing country, trying to communicate with people I've never seen before and do not know. In just 6 days from today what is likely to be the biggest adventure of my life will have started. A simple 12 weeks to try to make a tiny difference in this little world of ours.

Alone, I am going to Ethiopia to do some Humanitarian work. I have people greeting me at the airport and will be living with a family on arrival but I'll be leaving all of the comforts I call home... Talk about stepping outside of your "box".

Quick before I chicken out- somebody put me on a plane!!!

It doesn't seem to matter where I would be going- 3 months suddenly seems like a long time to be away from Denis-and my sweet Geneva. Even if it is, as I feel, the right thing for me to do, it doesn't make leaving any easier. I have this sudden urge to run into the bathroom and squeeze the Charmin... "smmooosh smmmosshhh- ohh that is a nice product isn't it".

Suddenly the removal of the nice fluffy toilet paper I love so much, toilets that you can sit on, potable water, my own bathroom, McDonalds (never go there anymore but I'll miss it) and the personal safety that we all take for granted in our daily lives, is making my palms sweat a bit. I've never traveled independently to a place where the customs and personal safeties are this different from the ones I am familiar with. I can't wait to come home a much more seasoned traveler- Look out world. Once I've conquered this one- nothing will stop me- :-)....

Thank you all for taking the occasional short break from your day to day life and joining me on this adventure. I'm going to treat this blog as my connection to home. So- Welcome to this crazy little adventure. I hope to give you all a glimpse into what it's might be like if you left your day to day life and entered a world completely unfamiliar.

A different job (career), a different culture, a different family, no big mac attacks... for 3 months.

No comments:

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)