The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thankful moments

Thanksgiving is coming and I've been thinking more about the moments in my life that I am thankful for.

Life can really throw some interesting moments your way- or really special ones that make you thankful for your life. As the stressful holiday's approach- I hope you all stop to think about the moments in your life that you are thankful for.

Growing up surrounded by people that had families that were far more intact and financially more fortunate than my family was, as an adult, I've worked hard to displace myself from that environment. I've fought hard and worked hard to put distance between the "haves" and "have nots" of my childhood- only to learn that the more fortunate I become- the more fortunate I was with out. Perhaps it's a realization that comes with age.

But now, as I think about my ability to travel around the world (mostly) as I desire, and I've seen poverty affecting people in ways I could not have imagined. I realize many of the privileges that I have are only because of where I was born and are because I was born with the ability to carry a US passport.

It's easy to overlook that some of life's most important gifts were given to some of us at birth.

As we watch our US economy crumble around us-I'm reminded that it's important to take some time everyday and remind ourselves of those "moments" we are most thankful for... not "what" we are most thankful for.

2 comments:

kn said...

So very well said. Thanks for saying it.

Janis said...

It is something that I never forget. We are so fortunate to have what we do and there isn't really a day that goes by that I don't stop to think about it.

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)