The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sofomar, Mud and sleeping in a Village

While travelling this year in Ethiopia we visited the SofoMar Caves. We spent 3 days on gravel roads and when we finally arrives- we got our truck got stuck in the mud- and it took us all day to get it out.

To celebrate- we bought a goat- spent the night with the people from Sofo Mar and enjoyed a wonderful evening of exploring the caves- swimming and a night partying.
This is an amazing story that with newly caring for the kids- I just don't have the time to tell properly. But the kindness of Ethiopians and the amazing love they show one another is the constant I find when I travel in Ethiopia. Again- this is an example of people celebrating life- as they spent their day helping Eldana and I and our driver remove our car from the muddy ground- in the Sofo Mar caves. Sofo Mar is disputedly the largest limestone cave system in all of Africa- it's gorgeous and beautiful- almost as beautiful as the people who had unexpected visitors in their village.

(they cared for us as if we were family or honored guests-and although they have visitors that come to see the cave system- we were the first in a long time- to spend the night). We slept in a house and they slept outside with guns to protect us and the truck. Ethiopia is always interesting- and never boring-laugh.


















1 comment:

Evelyn said...

What an amazing experience that must have been! You have so much cultural info to pass on to your kids! That is fantastic!

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)