The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Meringe Cha

This is popular Ethiopian Song ( a few years old) that the children did a dance to on parents day at Lem Lem school. They were so cute- wearing hats, holding canes and doing the twist as well as dancing around as if they were in the video while they sang on a stage of a building that was rented out for Parent's day. Parent's day is when the Kindergarten children graduate (big deal with caps and gowns-etc) and when the kids perform dances, songs and skits that they've practiced with their teachers and others. Awards are given out to the top students as well. It was a chance for me to thank the teachers and the students for the opportunity to teach at Lem Lem.

On Parent's day- The other teachers got me on the stage to do one of the dances that I had a lot of fun doing. It's called the "grage". I can't spell it sorry. I just love it. You move your legs back and forth and kind of clap while moving your shoulders. It's great fun. There are many dances and during my visit I was presented with a lot of time to practice them. But the Gragge was a blast. The Meringe Cha is not Gragge but it's an enjoyable little ditty that you'll have fun listening to. I was also able to give some of the students awards and give a little speech (that I didn't know I'd be doing and wasn't prepared for-laugh). There's nothing like winging it in front of hundreds of Ethiopians. I kept my calm but making myself believe that the majority of the crowd was not going to be able to fully understand me- so I sad what few words I know in Amharic-and then jabbered on in English using a nice and thank full tone in my voice.

I just love the song- almost as much as I like Teddy Afro- so I couldn't help but post it here.
There's a bit of advertising before it starts- enjoy. It's one of those snappy contagious tunes.

No comments:

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)