The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Friday, August 15, 2008

NGO and NON-Profits

For those that do not know- I'm in the very very early stages of starting up an International NGO (non-government office). We call them 501 (c)3 or Tax Exempt Non-Profits :-). It's focus- educating the needy children of Ethiopia.

It's amazing how many families need help to keep their children in school. I have tons of pictures of children- most I have met personally- that need assistance.

In terms of the NGO- The database that was developed for AOET was just offered to us to utilize and a web developer has offed to develop the webite.

Johnny Long has helped us get in touch with some people that work with Ihackcharities.org.. (he's so awesome- everyone really in the hacking community is. So, if by chance- while you are waiting for me- if you ever have the desire to give away any of your money- I strongly recommend that you give it to them. Incase you missed that URL- it's

Our money goes so far in developing countries and I've seen first hand what a small amount of money can do in Africa. It'll shock you. I'm handling the paperwork and the reading up on starting it all.... so, soon the organization will be set up and finally I'll be happily asking you all for money- giggle.

When you hear the story, the reason for starting this and see how much you can affect one persons life you'll be excited (I hope anyway- stay tuned for announcement on the website- it'll be a couple of months).

Anyway- children need so much in Ethiopia. But, it's really through education that we can truly help people elevate their day to day social status. When you are educated you can not only help yourself but your family members and when you educate a group of children- you are elevating an entire community. It's amazing to see the impact the teachers have on the children's lives in a developing nation like Ethiopia.

So many families openned their lives and doors to teach me. I saw a need - and I'm working on moving forward in life and doing what little bit I can to make a big difference in some of theses families lives.

Stay tuned... :-)

No comments:

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)