The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

HAPPY ETHIOPIAN NEW YEAR

(a note from my host sister in Ethiopia)....

Happy Ethiopian New Year to you all- love Kim, Denis and Geneva
As the Ethiopian tradition during "Addis Amet" or New Year, early in the morning everybody goes to Church wearing traditional clothing. After Church there is a family meal of "Injera" and "Doro Wat". The girls go from house to house singing New Year songs and the boys sell pictures that they have drawn. In most places, in the evening families go to visit their friends and drink "tella". Really I'm not seducing you.

As you know, Enkutatash means the "gift of jewels". When the famous Queen of Sheba returned from her expensive trip to visit King Solomon in Jerusalem, her chiefs welcomed her bolts by replenishing her treasury with inku or jewels. Today's Enkutatash is the season for exchanging formal new year greetings and cards among families and friends.

But know I'm not giving you card, no sweet flower to send, no gift of jewels to give. Just a sweet words saying have a nice Enkutatash. "Enkuan aderesesh"Happy New Year!!!!

No comments:

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)