The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Chaos... total Chaos this week...

The past week has been a very very challenging week for our family- it included some of the most joyous moments in our lives and some of the saddest we've had in a while....

On Sunday, one of Denis' cousins (in his 40's)  being admitted to the hospital on Sunday, he dies mid week.  He had a rough life fighting alcoholism and has not been doing well for many years.  Death is a weird thing like that, no matter how the person lived their life and what thoughts or judgement you may pass as the years go by- when death knocks - you feel very sad and indeed helpless in some ways with helping the family members.  That's the 3rd death in less than a year for Den.. very difficult indeed.

On Monday the most amazing boy arrived at our home for a weeks vacation with us.  We enrolled as a host family to the Fresh Air fund (www.freshair.org) and I can't say enough about this organization or the child that arrived.  We have fit in an amazing week around the other challenges surrounding us.  I think with out the "need for fun" distraction he provided us with- this week would have been much different in so many ways.

 Habtamu broke his collar bone on Tuesday, so he and I spent much of the day at the doctors office and then watching movies.  Thank goodness my brother in-law Jim extended his trip - he was a blessing to have here so I didn't have to bring the other two kids to the doctors. He took them swimming instead and thus the beginning of the kid juggle for the week-laugh.

On Wednesday Denis business trip was cancelled and I rejoiced! Mom's job hours increased again- something she needs- but we sure could have used the help this week of all weeks. We also kind of laid low.  Mom tried to take Z (fresh air boy) fishing but the fishing line was a mess-and thus the trip was as well-laugh.  We made fried chicken with the neighbors for Z- who was very excited as this is his favorite food and had a fire outside in the firepit- to listen to the crickets, other noises and to hear the fire "snap crackle and pop".  Having a fresh air child in our home has really opened our eyes to city life vs. sub-urban life.  This polite young man manages to politely talk of guns and knifes at school-and the death of young men (he's 6).  Amazing.. my 4 year old talks about how "fast he is" and then Z jumps right in and can be a young kid here.. Amazing..

Thursday- Habtamu's on the mend, I lost Z's inhaler- oops,  Z and I go out, family wake for cousin... dinner with different neighbors. I tried to grill... and we ended up all eating hockey puck hamburgers and burned hot dogs...laugh.

Today is friday- and so far so good. We did sports, the beach and going to a ball game tonight.  Thank goodness tomorrow is Saturday... What an adventure... I'm sooo ready for a nap now-laugh...

Well- my mental break is over.. Hugs to you all- and if you've ever thought of hosting a Fresh Air child... It has been a wonderful experience so far.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site calderoneadoption.blogspot.com
Is this possible?

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)