The days on the long road of one families Ethiopian Adoption

This blog started out as a way to record the twists, turns, highs and lows in my families journey to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. Now our children are home and we have just finished celebrating our first year as a family.

I'm Kimberly (or Fendesha), an adventurous person who aspires to be a vagabond- but for now- I spend all of my free time travelling and my down time thinking of travelling. I'm a mom of 3 (the oldest being my gorgeous canine companion), a IT project manager, and on occasion I find myself the primary writer of this blog.


Happy Reading and thank you for stopping by.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Bead up my nose... Oh my...

As I have almost completed my first "elaborate" hairstyle on Debritu - knowing it's 4th of July this weekend and Ethiopian Culture camp next weekend- I decided to go with an Ethio-American theme.

When I'm nearing our 5th hour of working on her hair... I hear- mama -bead nose- hurts... Hmmm.  What could this mean? I've been really careful with the beads.  Are you sure Debritu? I look up her nose, touch her nose- nothing.  Then puzzled -step away for moment- looking for tweezers just in case and thinking "what am I to do??".  She starts screaming hysterically when I step away.  Hmmm-bead up her nose. Seriously? But I was right there, doing her hair- and she's watching TV,  is it possible?  Well-she's almost 3- anything in possible-laugh.  So- I turn up the lights- man handle her down to the floor and spread open her nostrils as calmly as I can- while struggling to get her to stay still so I can "look".

There it is.... Yup- she has a red bead stuck up her nose.  Now I Panic .. grab shoes - jump in the car and call hubby- what hospital do I go to? All the while I'm driving "fast" to the hospital- with my hazard lights on... Now, If you know me, I drive pretty fast to start with...I have calmed down immensely in my "parentage".. but I learned- some things come back very naturally-laugh.

So quickly down the highway we fly- I kept thinking- what if she gets this past the point of seeing it- what will they have to do? After all it's right at the point where is she pushes it even a bit- it might "disappear".  Hmmmm.  Denis calls the nurse and she calls me.  The nurse asks-"can you see it??, Yes, I can but it's high.  She says, okay-come into the office anyway?  There is one thing we can try- if it doesn't work we'll move her to the emergency room".  All the while I'm calming now and have a constant case of nervous laughter.


So, arriving at the office (one floor up from Emergency) they usher us right into a room-all the while D is screaming.

Here is what you do if your Daughter or Son gets a bead up there nose and you can see it!

  • A nurse held her down 
  • The doctor plugged the clear nostril.   
  • Then I blew as hard as I could into her mouth.  
The bead came flying out- along with some buggers onto my face...Ewwww.but totally awesome!.
So- if your daughter ever gets a bead stuck up her nose- try the little trick described above. 


The doctor then giggles and says to "me", now you know the trick.  

The doctor then explains... they see this a lot.

15 minutes later, the delighted Debritu and I head to the hospital cafeteria for a chocolate milk and some change for the valet guy.  The picture above is her hair still half beaded this morning..

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ahhh I love the story. I am a huge traveler. Lisa L. from the agency said she does not have any doubt I will go up there and visit them sometime after the kids get home. ha ha If I do, I have to make sure I get to meet some of the families up in that area.

I am constantly waivering on the sib bit because of the wait time. I am not hearing the same thing from my caseworker I was hearing in March from others there ..and people who adopted in recent months. At six months of waiting, I am going to reevaluate what I want to do. For now, I will sit tight 0-6. Your two kids are adorable.

I just really don't want to be 80 when I get kids.

Meme Stevens- Beautiful Song- get Kleenex

Oh the places I've Been (and might go again)